Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dattebayo!

Renny08 @ deviantart.com
I have been journeying through the story of Naruto since the beginning of this year, and I cannot believe how much I've come to adore this story and its characters. I entered the world of manga and "Japanimation" in 2006 through a series called Fruits Basket, a popular "shoujo" (lit. "for girls") manga series by Natsuki Takaya. Fruits Basket still remains the "center" of my fandom; all series I watch and read are compared to Fruits Basket. There isn't even a comparison between Fruits Basket and the somber and psychological Death Note series (for example), but as the first manga I ever read and the first anime I ever watched, Fruits Basket remains my point of reference in an ever expanding universe.

Even when Fruits Basket was the only manga I'd read, I was still aware of Naruto. Naruto was immensely popular and I remember thinking (while looking at the posters at my local Barnes & Noble), "What kind of ninja wears orange?" I even remember looking at a couple volumes, but the bright colors and what I perceived as "campy" art appeared too jarring compared to the soft, flowing lines of Fruits Basket which had become so aesthetically pleasing to me.

This was my first lesson in what I call "viewer's eye." I learned I couldn't look at Naruto with the same eye that I did Fruits Basket. The creators of each series are trying to convey emotion, character and plot through separate, different styles within the same medium. Fruits Basket and Naruto are classic representation of their respective genres: "shoujo" and "shounen" (lit. "for boys").

I avoided Naruto for a long time for several reasons. It appeared too juvenile. It seemed stupid. Immature. Very boyish and so on. In addition, there's something hard-wired into my personality which takes an immediate dislike to super popular trends. I suppose my aversion to "joining the bandwagon" is due to my fear of being labeled as a groupie. Of course, it was fine to be obsessed with Fruits Basket--it was a respectable manga that hadn't quite caught on in America. I was a "hipster" manga fan. If I were to join an established fandom like Naruto, I would become lumped into a larger group known collectively as "Narutards."

Despite my reluctance, 2011 became "The Year of Naruto." What can I say? I figured, why not? I had enjoyed FullMetal Alchemist and Bleach (two highly regarded shounen series) immensely despite their popularity, so I decided to give Naruto a chance. Currently, I've watched every episode of Naruto and Naruto: Shippden (minus a few horrendous filler episodes), and have begun reading the Naruto (vols. 1-27) and Naruto: Shippuden (vols. 28-ongoing) manga concurrently.

I have a few theories as to the infectious popularity of Naruto; they also happen to be some of the reasons why I love this series.

The series of Naruto--the very core if its design--is cliche. It's very much like the plot of Rowling's Harry Potter novels. It's the story of an orphan who, on the surface, doesn't seem particularly unique in any way; but, that child carries hidden talents, a bloodline and a destiny greater than anyone could ever believe. As the Reader, we follow his journey from novice to hero of the free world. We are with him through his triumphs and defeats. We're by his side as he discovers who he is. We're with him as he makes friends and enemies. We're there when he develops his first crush. We're there when he can't stop the death of his dearest friend. By the end, we are so emotionally invested in our hero that we cannot help but cry and laugh and grieve and celebrate alongside Harry...or in this case, Naruto.

We respond to characters like Harry and Naruto. Stories of the underdog resound within us. We feel validated and empowered when the little guy digs deep and finds the strength to overcome unsurmountable odds and crush evil. The story of Harry and Naruto is not new; it's been written over and over again since people started telling stories.

What makes Naruto special is its creator, Masashi Kishimoto, takes those cliches and twists them so that they are completely believable. The characters in Naruto are not caricatures of real people. Sure, they may have supernatural ninja powers, but personality-wise they are very real and believable. We all know Shino. We all know Kakashi, Hinata and all the others. As individuals, we also see bits of ourselves in these characters, as well.

Naruto hosts an extremely large supporting cast--just like the Harry Potter series does. Each supporting character is his or her own person. They all struggle with different and relatable issues. Like Naruto, I struggle to be acknowledged and liked by others. Like Kakashi, I can struggle in placing my trust in others. I've even found myself relating to villains.

...and then there's the character of Naruto himself. He's impossible not to fall in love with. We imagine ninja as silent, disciplined warriors who use incredible stealth. Ninja are supposed to be black-suited warriors who blend with the shadows, strike without warning and leave without a trace. Ninja are not annoying, loud-mouthed, chatterbox brats in a neon-orange jumpsuits. Yes, Naruto may be the most UN-ninja-like character in history. In fact, he is the most UN-ninja-like IDEA in history. In fact, no one in the Naruto universe behaves like a typical ninja, and perhaps that's part of the series' appeal.

The core of Naruto is the emotional depth and relationships of the characters. You wouldn't think Naruto himself is an emotionally deep character, but I'm surprised at how many times I've caught myself taken aback by his simple insight. Throughout the course of the series, he's grown into a wise young man. His wisdom is gained through experience, not through simple knowledge. This journey of self discovery and betterment presents a strong example of the Theme of the entire Naruto series, summarized as: "You cannot change who you were born as, but you can continue to change who you are." Naruto does that.

Just as pivotal in the Naruto series is the theme of redemption. When Naruto's teammate Sasuke defects to join the "bad guys" to realize his quest for power and revenge, Naruto vows to bring him home at any cost. As Sasuke's chosen path descends deeper and deeper into darkness and corruption, Naruto's resolve to rescue him only grows stronger. in his quest to save Sasuke, Naruto redeems many other characters--Konohamaru, Gaara, Neji, Tsunade...the list goes on and on. But the nice twist is that Naruto himself his redeemed through his friendships. He feels he was redeemed from loneliness by Sasuke, which makes Naruto's drive to save his traitorous friend that much more poignant.

With the stable emotional/relational core at it's center, everything else in Naruto falls into place. The battles are more intense because there is emotional stability, future happiness, friendships and lives at risk. Political machinations are that much more diabolical. Double crossed are that much more of a betrayal. Naruto's resolve to rescue Sasuke is that much more hopeless, admirable and bittersweet.

Hence ends my shameless plug for Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden. In you have not read/watched Naruto, I recommend doing so. If you gave up on Naruto, give him another chance. I'm sure he'll manage to worm him way into your cold and cynical heart. Oh dear...have I become a Narutard?

Dattebayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment