Sunday, November 20, 2011

This Post, Captivated.


I have recently discovered an interesting little Japanese manga series called Kuroshitsuji (lit. "Black Bulter"). It's a gothic comedy set it a fantasy-Victorian London, and follows the exploits of a young and orphaned Earl as he struggles to uphold his family's royally mandated legacy to govern England's criminal underground. He is accompanied everywhere by Sebastian, who is simply one hell of a butler.

The art is lush and the storytelling is unique, witty and charming, but I find the story's demonic elements disturbing and rather unsettling, namely Sebastian, who I feel I should not be "liking" as much as I do. However, the entire series piques my interest immensely, as it's a fascinating mix of Japanese romanticization of the West and a modern-gothic fairy tale take on Goethe's Faust.

*sigh*

While I remain intrigued by the story and characters, I'm afraid Kuroshitsuji may be too dark for my tastes. I may revisit come time to cosplay (the costumery is so tempting), but I think that when it comes to manga/anime...I'd rather fill my reading hour with an irritable alchemist and a ninja clad in a bright orange jumpsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment